Free On-Demand Webinar: How to Sell More and Earn More Without Needing Years of Experience!Join for Free NOW!

4 Steps to Reverse-Hacking Your Results For Cold Calling Success

After working with sales professionals for over a decade, many of them say they want to get better, but they never truly work the math out to get better.

Yes, you heard me – THE MATH.

Like anything else, there are numbers you can work out AND then you can REVERSE HACK it to see where you can improve!

Unfortunately the average rep just thinks “Well, I’m just gonna make more dials and I’ll book more.” Ok, technically that is true but why not work hard and smart?

That’s where this article comes in as I’m going to show you EXACTLY how to reverse hack your results and what numbers you need to know to improve!

When you dissect your specific results, it allows you to be surgical in your approach for the future.

However, first…let’s make sure we define a few words to ensure we are on the same page:

  • Cold Call: This means you are picking up the phone and calling someone to book a meeting with them. You may or may not have information on them. Some people call it “warm calling” if you have information – that’s fine. The point is that you are calling a decision-maker to book an appointment!
  • Contacts: In our article here, that means the number of decision-makers you speak directly to on the phone. AKA you actually have a chance to book it now!
  • Booked Appointment: You booked the appointment!

These are defined because you will need to know these to run these next steps. Before you go into these steps, it is recommended you work closely with your sales leader or team lead on these as they can help provide another lens to how you cold call!

1.) Track the data – Track how many COLD CALLS you make, how many CONTACTS you make out of the cold calls, and how many BOOKED APPOINTMENTS you get over the course of 3-5 calling sessions. This is important as it gives you a larger amount of data to make decisions on. Also, for every appointment you DON’T book, make a note of the reason why they  did not book. (This will make sense later.) Next, average out what your numbers look like by the hour. Here’s an example:

  • Let’s say you average 15 Cold Calls Per an Hour (15 Cold Calls)
  • Out of the 15 Cold Calls, you talk with 4 Decision Makers (4 Contacts)
  • Out of the 4 Decision-Makers, you book 1 appointment (1 Booked Appointment)

Now you have some data we can work with so let’s move to step 2!

2.) Calculate out your ratios:

  • Contact Ratio = # of Contacts/# of Cold Calls
    • Therefore, in our situation here we averaged 4 Contacts/15 Cold Calls = 26.6%. That means 26.6% of the time we are on the phones, we have an actual chance to book an appointment! The remaining 73.4% of dials, they weren’t present to book!
  • Booking Ratio = # of Booked Appointments/# of Contacts
    • Therefore, in our situation we averaged 1 Booked Appointment/4 Contacts = 25%. That means 25% of the time we get ahold of a decision-maker, we book it!

Now we have this information – so now what??

>>Getting hung up cold calling? Access our exclusive FREE VIDEO TRAINING, How to Cold Call Like Top 1% of Sales Pros – Learn 6 secret strategies to jet past gatekeepers, book more appointments, crush your quota, and achieve President’s Club by clicking here!>>>

3.) Reverse-hack each ratio to improve: Now you know the numbers and ratios. The beautiful part is now you can identify key areas to take it to the next level. Let’s discuss what some of those may be!

    • Booking Ratio: In our example of booking 25% of the Contacts made, that may be good or bad depending on your or your industry. Either way, simply ask yourself this: How can I improve my booking ratio to get to 100%? Here are a few areas that could potentially IMPROVE the booking ratio:
        • Rewrite a more persuasive and better script
        • Practice objection-handling techniques (Remember that list of common objections? This is a great place to work on overcoming them!)
        • Practice your scripting – does it sound natural?
        • How is your Pace, Attitude, and Inflection?
        • Rewrite unique selling proposition
        • Better industry
        • Etc.
    • Contact Ratio: In our example of getting ahold of 26.6% of our dials, that could be good or bad as well. We will essentially run the same exercise to reverse-hack how to take it from 26.6% to 100%! (Obviously it’ll never be 100% as most decision-makers are very busy!) However, here are some areas to potentially improve the contact ratio:
        • Research beforehand to have better data to get through
        • Improve your script with the gatekeeper
        • Improve your call list quality
        • Adjust the times you are calling
        • Adjust the days you are calling
        • Etc.

4.) Choose one ratio to improve and 2-3 things you are going to work on to improve it: If you’re not careful, you’re going to try to change everything and give yourself 23 different things to fix. You won’t be able to do it all! Instead, just choose one ratio and then 2-3 things to work on.

In our situation above, I’d start with the Booking Ratio. You can then work with your sales leader or team lead to really dissect how your calls go and what you can do to improve. CHALLENGE the norm – if people say that it’s decent booking ratio at 25%, push back and see how you can still improve it to 30% and then move up from there!

After you improve one, then you can move on to improve the other. The point is simply taking the time to get the facts, dissect it, and make tweaks to get better! One thing that is highly recommended is also working closely with the top reps especially if they have high ratios for both! They can be a great start for hacking your results.

So there you have it – 4 Steps to Reverse Hack Your Cold Calling Results! What are your thoughts? Have you reverse hacked your results before? Make sure to comment, like, and share below!

>>Also, want to learn how to cold call like the top 1% of sales pros? Click here to access our FREE video training and learn the 6 secret strategies to take your phone game to the next level!

 

 

 

If you enjoyed this article, here are our top five most popular articles for your convenience:

  1. Top 10 Characteristics of the Top 1% of Sales Professionals
  2. 3 Reasons Why You’re Not Closing Deals As Fast As You Want
  3. 6 Simple Ways to Improve Your Cold Calling Sessions Immediately
  4. 5 Strategies to Eliminate Objections About Price
  5. How this 5 Minute Process Can Double Your Closing Ratio on Every Sales Call

If you found value in this article, make sure to tag a friend below in the comments along with liking it and sharing it!

—————————————————————————————————————

Marcus Chan, President / Founder of Venli Consulting Group, is an award-winning results and people-driven executive sales leader. Over the last decade, Marcus has been promoted 10X in 10 years and has been ranked in the top percentile of every company and every role he has been in.

He is passionate about helping others reach their maximum potential through high performance sales consulting and coaching. You can follow him on Instagram here for daily motivation! More information and a ton of cool resources are waiting for you here! 

Comments

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: